Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Fitness Myths Debunked (or my thoughts)


Morning!  

I absolutely LOVE this quote!


Anyway, the more I talk to people about health and fitness, the more misinformation I hear from them.  Some have things a little backwards and I am here to unravel the truth!

You will get bulky if you lift weights- You will not get bulky if you lift weights.  If you workout a TON and incorporate weights into your program, your metabolism may speed up.  If it does and you eat more calories than you are burning during the day, your muscles AND body fat will increase.  That is when you will get bulky.  Workout a couple days a week and monitor your food intake (what and when you eat).  You will tone up.

Lots of calories make you fat- I trained Kelly (my fitness instructor) and had her go from 1,800 to 2,500 calories in 4 weeks.  She LOST weight because they were the right kind of calories.  Healthy protein, fats, fruits and vegetables.  She worked out 4 days per week and did not do any cardio.  It is all about what you eat, when you eat, how you eat and how you train.

Milk is good for you- Many people are lactose intolerant and don't know it.  Casein is a protein found in milk that actually pushes calcium, out of your bones.  People think they are doing good by drinking milk all the time.  Ehhhh, not so much.  Almond milk is my best friend.

Peanut Butter- People think peanut butter is mainly a protein.  Peanut butter is considered more of a fat than protein.  If you look at a peanut butter nutrition label, you will see there are 16 grams of fat per serving and only 8 grams of protein.  Fat wins.

I am too old for that-  I can not tell you how many times I hear, "I am too old for that" in the gym.  I shutter inside because most likely I just had a 65 year old leave the gym doing the same exact movement I want a 51 year old to do.  The 51 year old breaks out the, "I am too old for that," comment and does not do the exercise.  It is not that you are too old.  It is either you do not want to do the exercise, you can not do the exercise because of an injury, you are fearful of the exercise or you think the exercise is too advanced for you.  Say it how it is.  You are not too old for it (unless you are 75 years plus!).

Cheat days are awesome- I do not like "cheat days" as I feel you can ruin your whole entire week of clean eating because of that one day.  I know people who can not reach their goal and I feel it is because their cheat day is sabotaging them.  They will have pizza, ice cream and belgium waffles in the same day.  Do you know how much calories, carbs and sugar is in all of that?  Space it out and practice balance.  Friday night have 2 pieces of pizza (after a clean day of eating).  Saturday afternoon, have your ice cream (while the rest of the day is filled with healthy foods), and on Sunday morning you can indulge in that Belgium waffle.  Stacking one cheat meal on top of another is no good!

Sweating-  I mentioned this before, but sweating is your body's way of cooling itself down.  We do not release toxins through sweating.  We have other organs in our body that cleans out the toxins.

Healthy on the outside= healthy on the inside- Just because you may be thin, have great skin, hair and nails does not mean you can eat whatever you want.  I wold love to saw a person (who eats unhealthy all the time, but looks healthy on the outside) vertically in half just to show them what they are doing to their insides.  It will be an eye-opener and will catch up with them eventually!

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment